Day 1: Cusco – Checacupe “Palcoyo Rainbow Mountain” – Full Day.
Walking Time: Approximately 3 hours (including a picnic lunch in the route).
Walk and Terrain: Walk, canter, on open roads, some steep ascending trails.
The adventure begins very early with our team picking you up from your hotel at 06:00 hrs. and heading to the small village of Checacupe (located south of Cusco). Where, we will make a stop to see an Inca and a colonial bridge and also to grab some last-minute items like drinks, snacks, sunblock, rain poncho, etc.
After the short stop we continue one more hour to the base camp. Once we arrive there, we take a short and gradual uphill walk (30-45 minutes) to the Palcoyo Pass (4880m/16,000ft). Here you will have spectacular panoramic views of the 3 Rainbow Mountains and the spectacular Palccoyo peaks as well, as the highest mountain in the Cusco region (Ausangate) and also the Stone Forest in the highest point. We will spend 1 hour at the pass taking pictures and enjoying the spectacular view.
Once we are done enjoying the scenery we walk back down by the same way to the base camp. We now take our private transport to the village called Cusipata to enjoy a delicious, freshly prepared, hot lunch.
After lunch, we will catch our private van back to Cusco. We will drop you off at Regocijo Plaza about 17:00.
End of our Services
- Pre-departure briefing: You will meet your Palcoyo Rainbow Mountain guide and group in our office for an orientation before your trek. At this time, we will provide you with the duffle bags which will be carried by our Porters. The meeting will be at 6:00 PM the evening before the trip begins. In case you can’t come at this time “please let us know” to coordinate another time.
- Touristic Transport: You will be picked up from your hotel in Cusco in the morning and will travel by private transportation to Tinki Village the starting point of the trek to the Palcoyo Rainbow Mountain.
- Adventure Experienced Palcoyo Rainbow Mountain trek Tour Guide: English speaking, professionally educated, and official tour guide with tourism certification. They all grew up in this region and have a true passion to teach others about their heritage. Your guide will explain the culture and surroundings along the entire route, including leading your group in ancient ceremonies! He or she will keep you safe, sound, and comfortable on your trek so that you can enjoy your time along the Inca path and will ensure you are safe and happy.
- Entry ticket to the Palcoyo Rainbow Mountain trail
- Meals: 1Breakfast, 1 Lunch, (Vegetarian, vegan, or special menus are available at no extra cost)
- Medical kit and Oxygen bottle: Our crew will bring a first-aid kit, including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Transfer back to Cusco: Private touristic transport from Palcoyo to your hotel in Cusco (Day 1)
- 24-hour guest service: We have telephone service available 24 hours/day for ease of communication and preparation with the agency leading up to your trek.
- Walking Sticks: You can rent a set from our company if you would like.
- Personal clothing and gear
- Travel Insurance
- Tips for our staff: Please note that our agency staff is well paid so please feel free to tip or not as you wish “Recommendation: Take with you usd 6 to usd 8 per day per traveler for all the trek staff”- Once again it is optional and can vary according your satisfaction.
- Additional costs or delays out of control of the management (landscape, bad weather condition, itinerary modification due to a safety concern, illness, change of government policy, political instability/strike, etc.)
- Original Passport
- Day Pack
- Full rain gear or poncho
- Gloves (thin riding and warm gloves)
- Trekking pants
- Breathable dry fit top-wear
- Hiking socks
- Insect repellent
- Bathing suit
- Comfortable shoes/flip-flops
- Cold-weather jacket
- Long-sleeve fleece/sweater Wool hat
- Hiking boots
- Baseball cap, sombrero and bandana
- Casual mountains wear for evenings
- Photo/video cameras and chargers
- Refillable water bottle (hydration bags are recommended)