Day 1: Cusco - Calca - Lares Hot Springs - Huacawasi
Walk and Terrain: Walk, on open roads, some steep ascending trails.
Walking Time: Approximately 4 hours.
Distance: 8 km.
Your journey through Lares to Machu Picchu starts in your hotel in Cusco at 5.00 am, where a bus will transport you to the village of Calca for 45 min. After a little break the bus ride continues for 2 hours to the hot springs of Lares, where we will enjoy a nice lunch before our hike begins you can take a swim in the hot natural thermal pools with beautiful surroundings of the mountain environment. The hike of the day takes 4 hours uphill until we reach the campsite of Huacawasi, where a delicious dinner is waiting for us.
Day 2: Huacawasi – Abra Huacawasi – Auroruy Cocha – Yanahuara.
Walk and Terrain: Walk on open roads, some steep ascending trails
Walking Time: Approximately 10 hours (including picnic lunch in the route) Approximately: 9 hours.
Distance: 13 km.
Early in the morning the guide will wake you up with a nice cup tee and breakfast. There after we ascend to the mountain top of Abra Huacawasi (4300 m), where we will have a breathtaking view of the mountain surroundings, the flora and fauna.
From there the Lares trek will take us downhill for 1 hour to the village of Auroruy Cocha, where our chef will prepare a fantastic lunch for us. For the next 4 hours the route continues downhill to the camp of this night in Yanahuara, where we will enjoy a dinner together and get settled for the night.
Day 3: Yanahuara – La Pista Central – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes.
YanWalk and Terrain: Walk on open roads, some steep ascending trails.
Walking Time: Approximately 2 hours.
Distance: 13 km. La Pista Central – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes.
On this day we will hike from our camp early in the morning at 6.30 am after a solid breakfast and good morning tee. First, we have a little hike downhill for 40 minutes. to La Pista Central, where a bus is waiting for us to transport to Ollantaytambo; the bus ride only takes 30 minutes.
In Ollantaytambo we will enjoy a nice lunch and you can walk around the town and its market. It is optional to visit the archeological site of Ollantaytambo, which will give you a great insight of how skilled the Incas were in their constructions and architecture. After visiting Ollantaytambo, we end the Lares trek and continue by train to the village of Machu Picchu called Aguas Calientes. There we will get settled in our hotel and enjoy a nice dinner.
Day 4: Visit Machu Picchu Sanctuary and return to Cusco.
After a very early breakfast at the hotel, we make our way to the bus station for the ride up to Machu Picchu Sanctuary (30 min). Our trip leader will give an introductory 2 hours guided tour of the ruins, after that we have the option of climbing the steep staircase of Huayna Picchu, a steep and vertically quite challenging hike that takes about 2 hours which affords great views of Machu Picchu. You will also have time to indulge in a few of the following activities on your own if you choose (not included in the price)
Climb up Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain and appreciate the beauty and magnificence of Machu Picchu from there. Other optional activities in Aguas Calientes include a visit to the new local museum, or bathe in the hot springs.
Back to Cusco: You will descend to Aguas Calientes by bus (included) and later board the train to Ollantaytambo where you will meet our transportation and be transferred to your hotel in Cusco.
*** Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountains hike depends on availability; please let us know if you want to add one of these extra hikes at the time of your booking.
About Lares trek and Llama´s path Campsites:
Please note: Campsites may change (be different from this itinerary) depending on booking time and availability, weather conditions or on restrictions undertaken for safety reasons by the Peruvian Government.
End of our Services
- Pre-departure briefing: You will meet your Lares trek “the Llama Path” guide and group in our office for an orientation before your trek. At this time, we will provide you with the duffle bags which will be carried by our Porters. The meeting will be at 6:00 PM the evening before the trip begins. In case you can’t come at this time “please let us know” to coordinate another time.
- Touristic Transport: You will be picked up from your hotel in Cusco in the morning and will travel by private transportation to Lares Village “Trough the Sacred Valley of the Incas”, the starting point of the Lares trek to Machupicchu.
- Adventure Experienced Lares trek Tour Guide: English speaking, professionally educated, and official tour guide with tourism certification. They all grew up in this region and have a true passion to teach others about their heritage. Your guide will explain the culture and surroundings along the entire route, including leading your group in ancient ceremonies! He or she will keep you safe, sound, and comfortable on your trek so that you can enjoy your time along the Inca path and will ensure you are safe and happy.
- Tour Guide in Machupicchu Cultural Experienced: English speaking, professionally educated, and official tour guide with tourism certification. For visit the sacred city of Machupicchu.
- Private campsites: Each campsite is carefully choosed for have a very local experience.
- Night 1: Enjoy the 1st night in Wacawasi village on the route Lares trek and sleep in our 4 season Pro Aconcagua Doite tents. All our tents are 4 man tents, but ONLY sleep 2, leaving lots of room to spread out comfortably and store your duffel bags. They also include a little vestibule in front, giving you some extra outdoor space to leave your boots and walking sticks so you don’t have to bring in dirt.
- Night 2: Enjoy the 2nd night in Yanahuara on the route Lares trek and sleep in our 4 season Pro Aconcagua Doite tents. All our tents are 4 man tents, but ONLY sleep 2, leaving lots of room to spread out comfortably and store your duffel bags. They also include a little vestibule in front, giving you some extra outdoor space to leave your boots and walking sticks so you don’t have to bring in dirt.
- Night 3: The 3rd night in hotel is not included, which is in the town of Aguas Calientes; prices of hotels will vary according to your expectations and budget. However, we can offer you the option of joining us at our local accommodation Hotel Encanto Machupicchu "at no extra cost". www.hotel-encanto.com Our hostel in Aguas Calientes have double or triple rooms, private bathroom, hot shower, Wi-Fi, breakfast, and luggage storage while you visit Machu Picchu.
- Note: It is not usual that the campsites, lodges or hotels change after the confirmation, however it can vary per government regulations and authorization, also for bad weather conditions and maybe because physical condition of our visitors: any changes in this matter ITEP travel will be informing you previously and as soon as possible.
- Camping equipment: Dining and kitchen tents, tables, chairs, and cooking equipment (all carried by our porters and horses).
- Entry ticket to the hot springs in Lares
- Entry ticket to Machu Picchu Inka Site
- 1 Duffle Bag: You can put your personal luggage, up to 5 kgs (11.02 lbs.), including your sleeping bag; this bag will be carried by our horses during the first 3 days. Also last day your luggage can be storage at your hotel in Machupicchu. Is not allow to enter in Machupicchu Inca City with luggages.
- Professional Trekking Chef: A professional chef specialized in cooking on the trail, with an assistant, will prepare all of your delicious meals along our journey on the Trail to replenish your energy every day. You will never go hungry!
- Meals: 3Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 3 Dinners (Vegetarian, vegan, or special menus are available at no extra cost) Please be in mind (1st breakfast and last lunch is not included”
- Boiled Water: Beginning from your first lunch until your last breakfast, Inka Trail Expeditions will supply all the water needed. This water will be boiled, filtered and then cooled, before distributing. You must supply your own water bottles or camel back. We recommend carrying about 3L worth. We will refill our waters at each meal.
- Wake up tea: Every morning at the campsite, you will wake up with a cup of coca tea! Our staff will bring the tea to your tent so that you will be warmed from inside out before you start your day.
- Tea time daily during the Trek: Every afternoon before dinner, the cooks will provide our tea time with popcorn, biscuits, coffee, hot chocolate, teas, hot water, etc. After a long day of hiking, you will not have to wait until dinner to relax, warm up, and enjoy a bite to eat!
- Products for hygiene: You will be provided with a small towel before each meal to clean your hands and every morning will be also a bucket with warm water for washes your personal hygiene.
- Medical kit and Oxygen bottle: Our crew will bring a first-aid kit, including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Train tickets: From Aguas Calientes “Machupicchu village” to Ollantaytambo train station (departure time is confirmed the day of briefing and it´s subject to availability)
- Transfer back to Cusco: Private touristic transport from Ollantaytambo train station to your hotel in Cusco (Day 4)
- 24-hour guest service: We have telephone service available 24 hours/day for ease of communication and preparation with the agency leading up to your trek.
- 02 Bus Concetur to/from Machupicchu inca City: Most of the times the wait to board the bus to Machupicchu is from 1 hour to 1:30 min, So we prefer that you decide a day before your visit to the Inca city of Machupicchu. If you wish to take the bus considering the waiting time. Or if you prefer to do the last stretch of ascent walking up 45 to 1 hour "everything will depend on your physical state, after the trekking done".
- Sleeping Bags: You can rent one from our company if you do not have your own. Our sleeping bags are effective and durable to protect from temperatures as low as -18ºC (0ºF). They are mummy form and include a sleeping liner. The bags are cleaned after every use.
- Walking Sticks: You can rent a set from our company if you would like.
- Climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu sacred mountain (+USD 75.00 per person)
- Panoramic Vistadome train (+USD 50.00).
- Day 1: Breakfast: Approx. Usd5 to usd 10.00, Price can vary according your selection.
- Last Day: Lunch and Dinner in Aguas Calientes. Approx. Usd 20 to 25.00, Price can vary according your selection.
- Personal clothing and gear
- Travel Insurance
- Tips for our staff: Please note that our agency staff is well paid so please feel free to tip or not as you wish “Recommendation usd 6 to usd 8 per day per traveler for all the trek staff”- Once again it is optional and can vary according your satisfaction.
- Additional costs or delays out of control of the management (landscape, bad weather condition, itinerary modification due to a safety concern, illness, change of government policy, political instability/strike, etc.)
- Original Passport
- Day Pack
- Full rain gear or poncho
- Gloves (thin riding and warm gloves)
- Trekking pants
- Breathable dry fit top-wear
- Hiking socks
- Insect repellent
- Bathing suit
- Comfortable shoes/flip-flops
- Cold-weather jacket
- Long-sleeve fleece/sweater Wool hat
- Hiking boots
- Baseball cap, sombrero and bandana
- Casual mountains wear for evenings
- Photo/video cameras and chargers
- Refillable water bottle (hydration bags are recommended)